Cheap clothes steamers exist but they likely weren’t your top choice when you bought one. Durability, quality and performance are definitely the most important things you consider when purchasing one. So, with what you spent on your clothes steamer (assuming you own one), are you sure you are getting the most out of your investment? They can do so much more than just get rid of wrinkles!
Before you start
Make sure that the steam output temperature is at 212° Fahrenheit or above to sanitize surfaces. Use only distilled water to prevent clogs and to avoid leaving mineral residues on fabrics. Avoid using the steamer on newly painted surfaces, waxed woods, musical instruments and vintage furnishings. And don’t forget to always read the fabric labels for precautions.
- Shine your windows and mirrors by steaming away the smudges, dust, and soil. Use a lint-free microfiber cloth as a follow up to avoid streaks.
- Sanitize your appliances' handles, toilets, sinks and countertops by steaming away all the germs. Point the nozzle of your clothes steamer towards those surfaces and you may not even need to use any chemicals.
- Remove stubborn grease and baked-on food off your pots, pans and stovetop. Target them with the steamer nozzle to make it much easier for you to just wipe the stains away (we suggest either Wowables or a microfiber cloth). This is very effective on glassware and avoids damages that other abrasive cleaners can cause.
- Get rid of carpet stains with a blast of your clothes steamer. Steam away the stains on the carpet for about 30 seconds to help loosen it and make it easier to remove. Make sure you hold the steamer at least six inches away from the stain. Use a clean towel to wipe the stained area and repeat as needed.
- Clean grout. Mold can’t withstand high temperature. Steam away the mold and dirt buildup in the grout. The heat will help to loosen any dirt on the tiled floors in kitchens and bathrooms. Wipe away with an anti-microbial cloth, microfiber cloth, or Wowables.
- Disinfect your car seats and carpet. Maximize your steamer's usefulness by utilizing it on your automobile. Reduce the tough time cleaning your car's hubcaps and bumpers - steam away the dust along with the stains on car upholstery, carpet, and floor mats. Give your car windows and mirrors a shine too.
- Refresh foams, sofa and bedding by steaming away odors, dust and bacteria. Just when you thought clothes steamers could only remove wrinkles, it can also steam away your stress. You can now experience a better night's rest on a germ-free bed or take a nap on a clean sofa.
There's certain household items which are really important, thus making them worth a significant investment. The key is to make sure that you are getting your investment back by maximizing the usage of whatever you bought.